Cairo and Luxor are two of the most popular tourist destinations in Egypt. Luxor is located about 6 hours south of Cairo. There are many reasons you may want to travel between these two cities:
- Visit the ancient monuments and temples of ancient Thebes – Luxor was the site of ancient Thebes, the great city of the Egyptian New Kingdom. Some of Egypt’s most famous monuments like Karnak Temple and Valley of the Kings are located here.
- Cruise the Nile River – Luxor is a popular starting or ending point for Nile cruise packages that sail between Aswan and Luxor. Cruises allow you to see major sites along the Nile.
- Experience the cultural history – In Luxor you can immerse yourself in Egypt’s pharaonic past. The preserved temples provide insight into ancient Egyptian religion, burial practices, and architecture.
- Escape the hustle of Cairo – Luxor provides a more laidback Egyptian experience compared to huge, busy metropolis of Cairo. The slower pace is a welcome change.
If you’re traveling between the two cities, you have several transportation options.
Main Topics of How To Get from Cairo to Luxor
Get from Cairo to Luxor By Air
Flying nonstop from Cairo to Luxor is possible thanks to the numerous of flights between the two cities in Egypt. The Cairo to Luxor flight takes about 1 hour.
Flying from Cairo to Luxor is the fastest but also the most expensive option.
Book flights online or through travel agents. EgyptAir offers multiple daily nonstop flights.
Momondo can be a great tool to research such flights. I use it all the time and highly recommend it. It can help you identify the best time to go to Egypt in terms of flight ticket prices.
Get to Cairo International Airport at least 2 hours before your departure time for security and check-in.
Flights arrive at Luxor International Airport, located about 5 km from the city center.
This is by far my favorite way to travel within Egypt. Check out my article about the various ways to travel from Cairo to Hurghada to see what option best suits you.
Travel to Luxor from Cairo by Train
Take the night train from Cairo Ramses Station to Luxor.
The overnight sleeper train Cairo – Luxor ride takes 9-10 hours. Tickets cost around $60 USD.
Book train tickets in advance online or at the Ramses Station ticket office.
Arrive at least 30 minutes early to find your carriage and seat/berth.
Trains arrive early morning at Luxor Station, conveniently located downtown.
Cairo to Luxor By Bus
Ride a bus from Cairo to Luxor to enjoy Egypt’s landscape.
Buses leave several times per day from Cairo’s Turgoman Bus Station and take about 6-7 hours. Prices are around $12-15 USD.
Book bus tickets at the Turgoman Bus Station ticket counter a day or two in advance.
Show up 30 minutes before departure time and look for your bus company sign.
Buses will drop off at the Luxor bus station in the city center.
I took this bus trip across Egypt. Honestly, I hated it. The ride was long and the desert scenery was boring.
Hire a Private Car in Cairo To Go to Luxor
– Hire a private car and driver – Drivers can take you directly from Cairo airport to Luxor in about 6 hours for $100-150 USD.
– Arrange a private car ahead of time through your hotel or a local travel agency.
– Look for your driver holding a sign with your name at the Cairo airport arrivals area.
– Stop along the way for breaks and meals. You will be dropped off at your Luxor accommodation.
Compare convenience, price, travel time and amenities to choose the best transportation option for your trip from Cairo to Luxor.